Sunday, July 5, 2009

Education: Maths and Science Teachers who inspired


I always loved Maths, even as a very small I remember a beauty and simplicity in maths, where as the rest of the world was noisy and chaotic. Maths was easy and when I was doing maths I could relax and was in control.
 
I remember at the age of about 11, I had a guilty secret, I would occasionally sneaking Maths books home and voluntary doing extra maths at home. I remember think that I must be weird to like maths and I knew what the social stigma would have been if I have been found out. On a more practical side, I realised the perfect place for studying maths was on my own, with a bit of quite. Like most maths and IT learning, what is need is plenty of attention and a little bit of help from a friend or teacher. Unfortunately a classroom with about 30 children, most of whom found maths irksome is not conducive to quiet, reflective and focused study.
 
As I progressed through school and especially in the sixth form (by which time I was beginning to signs of some real Maths ability), I would spend more and more time, at home with my music on, studying my equations, charts, rate of change and logic.
 
I did four A levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. I liked physics partly as it was pure science, enormously important but I really liked was that I could reduce it down to equations, formulas and core rules which had elegance and could be learnt by heart (unlike poetry, which despite have beauty in the mouths of others, I would massacre).

No comments: