Sunday, July 5, 2009

Education: English Teachers who inspired


Hopefully we all have teachers who have inspired us. As a boy I struggled with my English and was enormously grateful for the numerous English teachers who so patiently worked with me to improve my reading, writing and spelling.
 
Modern word processing is a god-sending to the dyslexic, not just the spell-checker, but the ability to go back and correct texts, I used to miss key words in sentence as my mind would race ahead with ideas faster than I could get them down on to paper.
 
Fortunately my love of literature and a good story, and also through plenty of hard work on all sides (my teachers, my parents and myself); I have largely overcome my difficulties with writing and spelling.
 
The books at school which I remember being inspired by, and I think the following list is indicative of the sort of liberal comprehensive education I had were:
 
  • Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck)
  • Twelfth Night (Shakespeare)
  • Animal Farm (George Orwell)
  • Lord of the Flies (William Golding)
  • Cider with Rosie (Lauree Lie)

No comments: