Sunday, June 21, 2009

tech: My IT History 1989-92 Macs, Pagemaker and Desktop Publishing


At Oxford (1989-92), I was reading Maths, with hindsight I would have reads Maths and Computing. While I was good at pure maths (calculus, linear algebra, logic) probability theory and statistics; but I never got on with abstract algebra or mechanics. If I had studied IT at university, I would have enjoyed this more and done better (well a lot better than struggling with fluid dynamics and group theory).

While I was at Oxford, I started to use Macs, Pagemaker and Desktop Publishing. I joined the Cherwell newspaper and for one term work on "Design and Production team", which typically involved converting late articles, graphics and other images into a finished newspaper before the print deadline. I had a close friend at the time (Zia Jafri) who was really talented at this sort of design work (he had some year-out experience producing reports for a marketing company in the City).

It was fun to work at Cherwell, Oxford's most self-confident students. The officers were nice, and the newspaper has a long and prestigious history. I also worked on the production of the Wadham Sound - a weekly college A3 newsletter.

Beyond this I didn't learn much about IT while at Oxford, in IT terms these were rather barren years.

No comments: