Thursday, September 24, 2009

psychology and power of arms (AK-47)


The following tells so much about the terrible power of the arms trade and the military.

Natasha Mitchell: The SPLA told you, there's a line in the book "always remember the gun is your mother and father now". Tell me about the relationship that you had as a boy to the AK-47 you were given. It was taller than you when you first got it.

Emmanuel Jal: An AK-47 gives you so much power when you hold it in your hand. With this thing I can shoot an elephant down. With this thing I'm equal as an adult, I can make an adult scream and beg for mercy. And the way it was brought to us was we were told: "this is your father and this is your mother". And it kind of makes sense. When you have an AK-47 you will not go hungry, you eat anywhere you pass, any village that you go to - you just sit under the tree and people will bring you food. That's the power it had. When you don't have it you become like a child again, you become vulnerable. And also the way we are trained with the movement is, it's like we idolise it, it's more important than your family members. If my father was against me I would fight my father, that's how we took it.


Emmanuel Jal is now a rapper, a powerful voice, rapping about his terrible experiences as a child soldier in the Sudanese Civil War.

This program is shocking a living hell in our time, but Emmanuel is able to communicate these living horrors with a great sense of humanity.

Normally I don't like rap but hear it works well.

Emmanuel Jal: Emma is my angel because she came at the right moment and she smuggled me, she risked her life smuggling me into Kenya.

Natasha Mitchell: I guess you wondered if she picked you or you picked her?

Natasha Mitchell: She decided to pick me, I don't know why me? Why did she pick me? I don't understand, I have no answer.

This one goes to Emma McCune
Angel to the rescue one afternoon
I'm here because you rescued me
I'm proud to carry your legacy
Thank you
Bless you
R I Peace

What would I be if Emma never rescued me?
What would I be?
What would I be, another starving refugee?
What would I be?
What would I be if Emma never rescued me?
Yeah e yeah yeah e yeah



No comments: