Sunday, April 4, 2010

Music Hall - a most capacious form of performance


The following usage of capacious had me reaching for my dictionary:


It [Music Hall] was a most capacious form of performance - people would come up and perform a turn... acting, comedy, song...


I like the idea of free space it conveys!


It also makes me think of one favourite books - Tipping The Velvet by Sarah Waters. This is a wonderful tale of closeted Victorian society. I love the lesbian and gay characters, it is shocking in parts and deeply romantic too.


capacious |kəˈpā sh əs|

adjective

having a lot of space inside; roomy : she rummaged in her capacious handbag.

DERIVATIVES

capaciously |kəˈpeɪʃəsli| adverb

capaciousness |kəˈpeɪʃəsnəs| noun

ORIGIN early 17th cent.: from Latin capax, capac- ‘capable’ + -ious .


No comments: